RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/02/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Schenefeld (Hamburg area)
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK39
Join our team
European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques. User operation started in September 2017.
The Sample Environment & Characterization group provides state-of-the-art sample delivery and characterization methods for the users of all scientific instruments. One focus is delivering liquid samples for serial femtosecond crystallography (SFX).
As a substitute for a parental leave in our Sample Environment & Characterization group, we are looking for a
- design and setup of advanced liquid sample delivery systems based on micro liquid jet and mixing systems
- test of sample delivery systems with realistic samples in cooperation with user groups
- feasibility studies for newly developed sample delivery methods
- participation in safety evaluation of sample injection methods
- taking responsibility for lab safety and usability
- support European XFEL users in the field of sample preparation, handling and testing
- work independently on scientific projects
- work shift time during user operation
- PhD in physics, chemistry, biology, life science or equivalent
- experience in microscopic liquid jets
- experience with experiments at synchrotron and/or free-electron-laser radiation sources
- experience in biological laboratory procedures, especially protein expression, purification and crystallization would be beneficial
- strong interest to collaborate in an interdisciplinary team
- ability to work cleanly and neatly, maintain records of work done
- English is the working language, knowledge of German is an asset
For additional information, please contact Joachim Schulz (email@example.com).
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme as well as broad relocation benefits. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
This appointment is initially limited to 18 months, an extension is possible. The position can be executed in part time (min 20 hours per week). In this case, the contract length would be adjusted accordingly.
15 February 2019
Please apply online and provide a motivation letter next to a CV in English, your list of publications, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
Handicapped persons will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants. The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
EURAXESS offer ID: 371692
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.