RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › OtherPhysics
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/09/2019 22:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONSweden › Trollhättan
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/01/2020
REFERENCE NUMBERR 2019/157
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
The division of welding technology at University West is now looking for a post doctoral researcher with expertise in CFD modeling of thermal and multi-phase flow with free surface to study additive manufacturing with metal.
A main activity for the post-doctoral researcher will be to contribute to a multi-disciplinary research project aimed at investigating how to tailor the performance (functionality and integrity) of high strength/resistance steel components through two additive manufacturing processes, namely WAAM and LMDp. The post-doctoral research work will thus be conducted in collaboration with other researchers contributing to this project through expertise in process physics, metallurgy and process development and control.
The post-doctoral researcher will work with the modeling and numerical computation of the additive manufacturing processes using the CFD software OpenFOAM® to investigate:
- The effect of the heat source and transferred metal on the temperature field and the thermal cycles of the deposited layer and its former underlying layers.
- The effect of the interlayer temperature (e.g. through the time elapsed between the deposition of two consecutive layers) on the temperature field and the thermal cycles of the deposited layer and its former underlying layers.
- The effect of the heat source and transferred metal on the melt pool geometry of the deposited layers.
- The effect of the active cooling or heating of the layer under deposition, or of some previously deposited layer, on the temperature field and the thermal cycles.
The research work will thus include:
- Proposing scientific methodologies according to project objectives.
- Proposing and implementing further developments of the computational model according to project objectives.
- Conducting numerical simulations, evaluating and analysing the computational.
- Designing experiments to be used for model testing and validation; this will be done in collaboration with researchers in process development who will conduct the experiments according to project objectives.
- Writing and/or guiding students to write international journal manuscripts.
- Presenting results in project meetings and international Conferences.
- Supervising BSc and/or MSc students during their thesis project.
- Activly participating in the scientific and administrative meetings with the division of welding technology.
Exploring collaborations to complement modelling and simulation capabilities at the university.
University West (in Trollhättan, Sweden) is a modern and constantly growing university with 15 000 students and about 650 employees. University West has since 2018, through the Knowledge Foundation program called "Knowledge Foundation Environment", established the research environment PRIMUS. PRIMUS aims at developing competitive research and education in synergy between the core areas production processes, production systems and industrial work integrated learning. The research activities within PRIMUS regarding production processes and systems primarily focus on technology used in the engineering industry. The research is conducted at Production Technology West (PTW). Established in 2008, PTW has grown to about 90 researchers, PhD students and technical staff and is currently running about 75 externally funded research projects. PTW has access to appropriate simulation tools and advanced laboratory facilities. PTW is organized in three divisions; among them the division of welding technology, which comprises about 30 people (including senior research staff, PhD students and engineers) who focuses around three main areas: Metallurgy, process physics modelling, and process development and control. The main topics currently under development are related to gas metal arc welding, plasma welding, laser welding, friction stir welding, directed energy deposition additive manufacturing with electric arc and wire (WAAM) and laser metal deposition with wire (LMDw) and with powder (LMDp).
Terms of employment
The employment will be full-time for a duration of two years.
Candidates applying for the post-doctoral position should have a PhD degree in fluid mechanics, physics, or any other branch of engineering science if they possess appropriate experience in thermal fluid dynamics for multiphase problem, CFD simulation and interest in welding and additive manufacturing processes. The applicants who have obtained a doctoral degree or achieved the equivalent competence in three years or less prior to the end of the application deadline will be given priority.
Moreover, the candidate should submit a personal letter that contains:
- Interest in the research topic
- Previous experience regarding the proposed research topic and it's research methods and scientific theories.
- Motive to pursue doctoral studies.
Documents that cannot be sent digitally, such as books and publications, should be labelled with reference number R 2019/157 and sent in two copies. The application is sent to:
461 86 Trollhättan
Special importance will be given to scientific skills in the subject field. In addition, the degree of administrative proficiency will be assessed. Furthermore, the degree of skill in developing and leading activities at the university will be considered, as well as the ability to interact with the surrounding community and to inform about research and development work.
In the selection process proofreading interviewing, referencing and may be relevant. The applications should be made digitally using our recruitment tool. For information about the design of the application, please see the guidelines for employment and promotion of teachers at University West:
In case of questions about the position, please contact Ass. Prof. Isabelle Choquet at email@example.com.
Web site for additional job details
Required Research Experiences
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Other
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE4 - 10
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: PhD or equivalentPhysics: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
The following skills will be considered meritorious:
- CFD with thermocapillary flow.
- CFD with electromagnetism.
- Knowledge and experience of OpnFOAM.
- Knowledge of welding, in particular of melt pool flow and metal transfer.
- Knowledge of additive manufacturing with metal, in particular of melt pool flow and metal transfer.
- Knowledge of the electric arc physics.
- Command of the Swedish language.
The position also requires:
- Skills in modelling and simulation of thermal flow with phase changes.
- Skills in CFD with free surface deformation.
- Experience of model development.
- Advanced computer literacy and C++ programming skills.
- Experience and interest in the presentation and publication of scientific results.
- Ability for independent research as part of a team.
- Good command of the English language (speaking and writing).
- Personal capabilities necessary to fully carry out the duties of the appointment in collaboration with the rest of the group.
EURAXESS offer ID: 421259
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.