ORGANISATION/COMPANYAssociação Fraunhofer Portugal Research
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE22/08/2019 22:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONPortugal › Porto
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2019
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
Fraunhofer Portugal’s mission to undertake applied research of direct utility to private and public enterprises and of wide benefit to society currently materializes itself through the Fraunhofer Portugal Research Center for Assistive Information and Communication Solutions (FhP-AICOS), located in Porto and born in 2009 following a partnership between the Fraunhofer Society (Fraunhofer Gesellschaft), the Foundation for Science and Technology and the University of Porto.
With a team of over 80 hired researchers and a client portfolio from a broad range of areas, such as health, agriculture, retail or energy, FhP-AICOS has consolidated competences in:
- Human-Centred Design
- Artificial Intelligence
- Cyber-physical systems
User analysis in different environments, computer vision, cognitive and decision support systems, and the internet of things are some of the fields of study in this research centre which steers its activities towards applied research and its clients’ success, with whom it establishes close cooperation for the development of innovative, intuitive, accessible and ubiquitous technological solutions. Currently, the innovation themes of interest to FhP-AICOS are the following:
- Cognitive connected solutions
- Digital farming
- Accountable artificial intelligence
- Decentralised health technology
- Living and ageing with data
FhP-AICOS’ track record in institutional and commercial collaborations has built a wide network of active partners. Since 2009, FhP-AICOS has been involved in 10 European projects and established partnerships with over 150 organizations in 31 countries.
In order to expand its project competences, Fraunhofer Portugal AICOS is now receiving applications from candidates interested in the particular fields addressed by the center, who are capable of providing excellent qualifications and skills within the requirements described below.
Job Description and Responsibilities:
The candidate will perform research activities within the Intelligent Systems group, namely in the area of Image Processing. It is expected the candidate to contribute for the innovation area of decentralized health technology (for Ophtha, Derma or Micron portfolio items) or in Audit portfolio item.
Tasks: The candidate will work on the following tasks:
- Research and develop image processing algorithms for segmentation or detection purposes;
- Research and implement machine learning / deep learning models for data classification;
- Investigate and develop methods suitable to explain and support the decisions;
- Deploy the developed models in mobile applications or embed in edge devices;
- Write deliverables and contribute to research papers.
What we offer:
- Excellent work conditions;
- Being part of the team of the largest applied R&D organizations of Europe;
- Adequate salary;
- Private health insurance plan.
Applications are permanently open until the ideal candidate is selected. A first cut-off to evaluate CVs day will occur on the 10th of August 2019.
Applicants should apply via Fraunhofer’s website: https://joblistings.fraunhofer.pt/index.php?id=3&det=19
Applicants must submit the following documentation:
- CV + Motivation Letter
- Recommendation Letters are optional but also welcome
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
Candidates with experience in the development of computer vision and machine learning methods and knowledge in explainable artificial intelligence are preferred.
Interest in health or industry applications will be valued. Previous working experience on relevant areas will be highly regarded.
The candidate must be able to work autonomously and show excellent English communication skills.
- Excellent programming skills (at least 2 of the following: C++, Python, OpenCV, Java - Android);
- Experience in image processing and analysis;
- Scientific knowledge in machine learning framework(s) (sklearn, pyTorch, Tensor flow, Keras);
- Experience in explainable artificial intelligence will be valued;
- Proficiency in English both spoken and written.
- Academic Master degree or equivalent academic qualifications (or equivalent 2nd cycle complete) in the area of Biomedical Engineering, Informatics Engineering and Computer Science or similar.
- More than 6 months of professional experience or research experience in R&D projects;
EURAXESS offer ID: 429915
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.