ORGANISATION/COMPANYLeibniz-Institut für Agrartechnik und Bioökonomie e.V. (ATB)
RESEARCH FIELDAgricultural sciences › Forest sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE23/08/2019 21:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONGermany › Potsdam
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
The Leibniz Institute for Agricultural Engineering and Bioeconomy (ATB) as nationally and internationally acting institute is researching at the interface of biological and technical systems. Our research is aimed at sustainable intensification. We analyze, model and evaluate bio-economic production systems. We develop and integrate new technologies and management strategies for a knowledge-based, site-specific production of biomass, and its use for food, as raw materials and fuels - from basic research to application. Thus we are contributing to food security, animal welfare, the holistic use of biomass, and to protect the climate and environment.
For the joint research project „NETFIB: Valorization of fibres from nettle grown on marginal lands in an agro-forestry cropping system” funded by the BMBF under the programme "Funding of transnation-al joint projects in the field of sustainable crop production within the framework of the ERA-NET Cofund SusCrop" we are seeking at the earliest possible date for a
Scientist (65%) with possibility of PhD graduation (m/f/d)
The joint research project "NETFIB" pursues in cooperation with partners from 5 countries the goal of cultivating fibre-rich nettle varieties on 4 European former industrial used sites in an agroforestry cultivation system together with poplars. In the project, strategies for the targeted harvesting and processing of nettle plants are to be developed and implemented on a pilot basis. The overall objective is to develop a site-specific phytomanagement strategy and to analyse the corresponding ecological, economic and social sustainability aspects.
A sub-theme of the ATB is the scientific accompanying research on the design of harvesting and first processing methods for the provision of technical nettle fibre qualities and in particular the qualitative characterisation of nettle straw from agroforestry combination cultivation and the fibres to be obtained from it.
- Scientific processing of the project
- Arrangement of plant pot trials with different nettle clones as well as field trials as an agroforestry system in combination with nettle plants
- Analysis and further development of harvesting and processing concepts for the provision of technical nettle qualities for further processing by the responsible project partners
- Organisation and implementation of laboratory and pilot plant trials for fibre production from nettle plant biomass as well as attendance of the industrial processing at the project partner's site.
- Organisation and execution of laboratory tests for the qualitative characterisation of raw materials and fibres (mechanical, physical, chemical),
- Evaluation and assessment of the results,
- Active participation in conferences, project meetings and workshops with stakeholders,
- Preparation of project reports and scientific publications.
- Very good university degree, preferably related to agricultural sciences with a focus on process engineering or comparable fields (e.g. plant-/biochemistry, wood technology) with relevant scientific expertise,
- Knowledge and experience or willingness to familiarise oneself with methods, in particular chemical, physical and mechanical characterisation of plant and fibre properties,
- Knowledge of statistical data analysis,
- Ability to work in a team and willingness to cooperate, reliability, flexibility, personal commitment and independent working,
- Good command of the German and English languages, both written and spoken,
- Willingness to travel according to project progress and requirements.
- The possibility of PhD graduation and accompanying training courses,
- The possibility to participate in structured doctoral programs,
- An attractive, interdisciplinary working environment in a team of experienced and young scientists and technicians,
- Excellent infrastructure for carrying out scientific work,
- Opportunity to design your work area on your own responsibility and the opportunity to contribute your own ideas,
- Access to national and international networks for your scientific career,
- Family-friendly working conditions that foster the compatibility of work and family life
The salary is based on your qualification and professional experience according to TV-L. The position will start immediately and is limited to 31 May 2022. Further information can be obtained from Dr. Hans-Jörg Gusovius (Tel.: +49 331-5699 316, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) as well as from internet source at www.atb-potsdam.de.
If you would like to contribute your professional competence to our interdisciplinary research, please apply by the following deadline 20 August 2019 quoting the reference number 2019-3-3 by email to email@example.com (preferably in single pdf-document).
Equality of opportunity is part of our personnel policy. Disabled applicants with adequate qualification will be preferentially considered.
With your application for employment you declare your agreement to store your application documents for at least three months even in case of an unsuccessful candidacy.
EURAXESS offer ID: 430285
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.