ORGANISATION/COMPANYUnited Nations University - Institute for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources
RESEARCH FIELDEnvironmental science
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/10/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Dresden
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
HOURS PER WEEK40
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
United Nations University Objectives:
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in research, postgraduate teaching, capacity development, and dissemination of knowledge in furtherance of the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
United Nations University Institute for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources (UNU-FLORES):
The mission of UNU-FLORES is to contribute to the development of integrated and sustainable management strategies for the use of environmental resources. These resources include water, soil, waste, energy, and geo-resources. Research at UNU-FLORES combines scientific, technological, and institutional approaches and focuses particularly on developing and emerging countries. The Institute develops innovative concepts for audience- and region-specific knowledge transfer as well as appropriate methodologies and approaches for postgraduate and professional education. UNU FLORES closely cooperates with the Technische Universität Dresden (TUD), which has been recognized as a “University of Excellence”. UNU-FLORES is located in Dresden, in the Federal Republic of Germany. For more information please visit http://flores.unu.edu.
To play a vital role in establishing the interdisciplinary research programmes and building an innovative research culture across UNU. These are open topic positions designed to strengthen the nexus approach of integrated and sustainable management of environmental resources championed by UNU-FLORES.
The selected candidate(s) will play a key role in delivering UNU’s grant generation goals through the development of an effective network of support and partnerships.
The selected candidate(s) will also have the opportunity of being co-opted as Honorary Professor, with membership rights at TUD, in their field of study, provided s/he fulfils the formal requirements for such status as determined by the relevant faculty at TUD.
Under the authority and supervision of the Director of UNU-FLORES, the successful candidate will perform the following tasks and duties:
- Play a critical role in establishing, developing, and leading a research programme and projects in the field of integrated resources management;
- Publish research outcomes in peer reviewed journal articles, books, reports, and policy briefs and actively represent the institute by presenting papers when appropriate;
- Conduct policy analysis and advise on any legal or governance issues relevant to integrated resources management;
- Identify and contribute to emerging issues in the field of integrated resources management that are of interest to the United Nations, member states, and policy makers, and subsequently articulate policies, strategies, and approaches to address them;
- Contribute to teaching modules for joint postgraduate programmes of the institute with TUD and supervise researchers, PhD students, and interns in the covered areas;
- Line manage staff within the research development department, setting and monitoring team objectives, including identifying training and/or development requirements and performance management issues as appropriate;
- Disseminate complex information in a manner that ensures the understanding of colleagues, using workshops, teaching moments, and individual coaching;
- Scrutinise and critique research, proposals, and grant applications;
- Work in conjunction with the Partnerships and Liaison Officer to establish contacts with the national, and international scientific community, and open new opportunities for the institute;
- Support collaboration and partnership with TUD, including PRISMA, the Centre for Sustainability Assessment and Policy at TUD;
- Contribute to the Nexus Observatory and related platforms of data, tools and methods;
- Actively contribute to an inclusive and diverse international work environment;
- Perform any additional duties that may be reasonably assigned by the director.
We offer a competitive (tax-exempted) net salary at P-3 level commensurate to level of experience and allowances including post adjustment. Post adjustment is subject to change.
The post carries the standard set of United Nations benefits and entitlements for international positions in the UN Common System, including participation in the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund, the possibility of participation in a health insurance programme, education grant, removal expenses, and home leave.
For more information about United Nations salary and entitlement/benefits, please visit http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm.
The UNU Rector reserves the right to appoint a suitable candidate at a lower level than advertised.
Duration of Contract:
This is a full-time, fixed-term appointment and an internationally recruited post. The initial appointment will be for a period of one (1) year with the possibility of renewal in accordance with the UN Staff Rules and Regulations and the UNU Personnel Policy. The combined duration of fixed-term appointments shall not exceed six (6) years. The mandatory age of retirement for United Nations staff is 65 years.
Staff members of the United Nations University are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Rector and may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of the United Nations University.
UNU is an inclusive employer, and endeavours to create a culture of inclusiveness. Applications from suitably qualified female candidates or underrepresented groups are particularly welcome.
Preference will be given to candidates that meet the requirements of an honorary professorship at TU Dresden.
Start Date: as soon as possible.
Interested applicants should submit their applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include the following:
- A cover letter setting out how the applicant’s qualifications and experience match the requirements for the position;
- A completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form downloadable from the UNU website. Please do not use similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations;
- Comprehensive contact information of three (3) references;
- The application must also indicate the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2019/UNU/FLORES/FTA/HNRP/86907)
The selection process may include various tests/assessments and/or an interview via video conference.
Please note that applications that are incomplete or received after the closing date will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
Required Qualifications and Competencies:
- A PhD related to the integrated management of environmental resources;
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressive, and relevant work experience including managing research programmes in academia, research, or related institutions;
- Comprehensive knowledge of the research agenda in integrated resources management;
- Recognition by the scientific community, as demonstrated by invitations to editorial boards of journals, Advisory Committees, and keynote speeches;
- Track record of research publications in areas related to integrated resources management;
- Experience obtaining research funding from a variety of national and/or international sources;
- Established skills in both project and team management;
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Highly self-motivated, innovative, and organized, yet detail-oriented, with a professional and conscientious attitude and the ability to independently prioritize;
- Fluency in English both in oral and written communications;
- Willing to travel as required both locally and internationally.
- Expertise in specific environmental issues in developing or emerging countries;
- Professional experience in teaching postgraduate programmes;
- Good familiarity with organising conferences, workshops, and summer schools, preferably at the intersection of research and policy;
- Working knowledge of another official UN language or language prevalent in Latin America, Africa or Asia.
EURAXESS offer ID: 447020
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.