RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Electrical engineeringEngineering › Electronic engineeringEngineering › Mechanical engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE10/01/2020 17:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONMultiple locations, see work locations below.
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK38
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
You develop advanced signal processing strategies for drones that will monitor the structural health of offshore wind turbines, in the context of the European innovation project ‘WATEREYE’. You will also contribute to other projects.
Wind Farm Operators will use drones to measure data and accurately predict the future needs for their operation & maintenance. Flanders Make will work within an international consortium on model-based detection and prediction of corrosion in a single wind turbine.
As a signal processing research engineer, you will:
- Work together in a small research team that combines expertise in modelling, signal processing and experimental testing;
- Play a key role in developing and testing signal processing algorithms, taking into account industrial requirements such as robustness. Sensor fusion, virtual sensing, advanced filtering, algorithms for self-diagnostics and condition monitoring, physical modelling and feature extraction are within the scope of your future research activities;
- Work in close collaboration with experts from our industrial partners and have regular contacts with experts from knowledge centres in Belgium and abroad;
- Become a sparring partner for our leading companies in their innovation processes;
- Trace and present industrial challenges and new research opportunities.
Your first challenge in this role: the European Watereye project
The project goals of the research consortium are developing:
1. A structural health monitoring system (SHM) capable of remotely estimating the corrosion level in wind turbines by monitoring wall thickness loss evolution.
2. A diagnosis, prognosis and decision support tool for predictive operation & maintenance.
3. Wind farm control algorithms with accurate consideration of the SHM system data, giving operators the freedom to select the best balance between energy production, protective control and predictive operation & maintenance.
Flanders Make will focus on the first two goals: development of model-based data analytics, diagnoses & prognoses for a single wind turbine.
You will also be involved in other research projects.
- A challenging job, working with experts in various fields, using state-of-the-art infrastructure for autonomous systems, machine & vehicle dynamics, predictive control, data analytics, software prototyping.
- Variety. A steady job at Flanders Make entails more than one project. You will be able to choose from a variety of technology development projects (Flanders Make Projects) to apply and broaden your skills in different domains.
- An open corporate culture with short communication lines
- A multi-stakeholder research context
- An enthusiastic, international team
To apply, please fill in the online application form and upload a motivation letter and cv.
We focus on 4 key competences, all based on modelling and virtualisation:
1. Decision & Control
2. Design and optimisation
3. Motion product specification, architecture, and validation
4. Flexible assembly specification, architecture, and validation
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
master's or PhD degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Electronical, Electrical);
At least 4 years of experience in an industrial or research environment;
In-depth knowledge of signal processing and modelling of dynamic systems;
Experience with modelling and processing software (Matlab, Simulink, and/or Python) and measuring systems (e.g. Labview or dSPACE).
- Passionate about research and new technologies;
- Result-oriented, responsible, self-directing and a team player;
- A good communicator;
- Eager to learn.
EURAXESS offer ID: 98235
EURAXESS old offer ID: 34085090
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.