OFFER DEADLINE06/02/2019 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMENot funded by an EU programme
ORGANISATION/COMPANYIMIBIC (Maimonides Biomedical Research Institute)
LABORATORYIMIBIC (Maimonides Biomedical Research Institute)
IMIBIC HOSTING OFFER:
La Caixa INPhINIT INCOMING Doctoral Fellowship Programme
IMIBIC, located in Cordoba, southern Spain, is a partnership between the University of Cordoba (UCO) and the Reina Sofia University Hospital. IMIBIC offers a multidisciplinary environment focused on results-oriented research and based on precision medicine and excellence in science. IMIBIC is accredited with the Excellence distinction from the National Institute of Health Carlos III and the “HR Excellence in Research” by the EC.
The Institute is structured in 44 research groups that cooperate in the implementation of five scientific programmes. IMIBIC offers an active environment in which to conduct high-level scientific research. Regular seminars and research events offer the opportunity to meet with national and international experts covering a diverse range of topics in biomedicine. Advanced training of our PhD students is provided primarily through the Doctoral Program in Biomedicine (UCO), hosted at the IMIBIC and integrated by leading scientists from the University and the Hospital. Results from research activities are exposed yearly in the IMIBIC Young Investigator Meetings, providing an ideal environment to strengthen the skills and knowledge of young scientists and to foster translational research by bringing together experimental basic and medical sciences.
IMIBIC is young and fast growing research center. It operates in a brand new building located within the UCO Health Sciences Campus and next to the University Hospital. It hosts over 600 researchers, and offers the latest technology, equipment and laboratories to support the technical needs of the research community.
Cordoba is a medium sized city located in the hearth of Andalusia, with excellent transport connections to the main cities of Spain and both to the Mediterranean and Atlantic coasts. Rich in history and culture, Cordoba is a friendly and welcoming city, with high standard of living, making it an ideal location for international students wishing to carry out their doctoral studies in Spain.
Dr.Raul M. Luque Huertas (firstname.lastname@example.org)
RESEARCH PROJECT/RESEARCH GROUP
IMIBIC group GC27: https://www.imibic.org/grupo/52
Obesity is a chronic endocrine-metabolic disease and an emerging global epidemic that represents a capital health issue as it increases the risk of developing severe endocrine (metabolic syndrome, diabetes) and cardiovascular pathologies and many cancer types. Cancer comprises a heterogeneous and complex group of pathologies, which also represent a growing threat for public health. Remarkably, the patient-dependent phenotypic and clinical variability of cancers is profoundly influenced by obesity, which is indeed associated to increased incidence, aggressiveness and therapeutic resistance.
Our group investigates the cellular and molecular principles underlying the natural processes of neuroendocrine-metabolic regulation and their dysfunction in cancer. We use a wide range of techniques, and our studies have led to the discovery and characterization of new receptors, functions and mechanisms of actions for different neuroendocrine-metabolic signals and drugs involved in the control of normal and tumor cells.
In this project, through the use of clinical and experimental approaches including numerous clinical samples and cellular and animal models, we aim to determine the cellular, molecular and endocrine-metabolic mechanisms underlying the pathologic association between obesity and cancer, by:
- identifying and establishing the role of alternative splicing components and associated miRNAs, as well as extracellular vesicles, in the development, progression and treatment response of several cancer types, as well as defining their utility as biomarkers
- studying the efficacy and mechanisms of action of certain drugs (i.e. biguanides and statins), under normal and obese situations, as novel therapeutic opportunities in the clinical management of cancer and its interaction with obesity
Consequently, the expected results could help to identify non-invasive, early diagnostic, prognostic and therapeutic biomarkers, with the final aim of transferring them to the health system.
Job position description:
The research project associated to this job position represents a central and financially well-funded research line for the group. The aim of the project is to identify the cellular, molecular and endocrine-metabolic mechanisms underlying the pathologic association between obesity and cancer, which is a topic of crucial interest for the group and has been recently funded by two national projects (PI16/00264 funded by the Instituto de Salud Carlos III to Raul M. Luque, PI of the group, and PI17/02287 funded by the Instituto de Salud Carlos III to Manuel D. Gahete, an emergent researcher of the group). In this scenario, this job position is envisioned to pursue a series of keystone objectives of the research group and serve as connection between several ongoing projects. The fundamental and relevant role anticipated for this job position will assure a high productivity that is expected to be translated into the publication of several scientific articles in high-impact journals, the licensing of various intellectual property-protecting patents and the elaboration of a PhD thesis with international recognition. In this sense, it should be emphasized that the group has an extensive experience forming PhD students within the framework of a high-quality doctorate program (boosted by the IMIBIC and the University of Cordoba), which will ensure the complete scientific training of the student. In addition, it should be also noted that the group has established during the last years a high number of relevant collaborations with internationally well-recognized research groups worldwide that will facilitate the mobility and complementary training of the student during the PhD development but also during a putative post-doctoral training.
1) At the call deadline (6th Feb 2019), applicants must be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree.
2) At the time of recruitment, candidates must comply with one of the following options:
- To have completed the studies that lead to an official university degree adapted to the European Higher Education Area awarding 300 ECTS credits, of which at least 60 ECTS credits must correspond to master level.
- To have completed a degree in university not adapted to the European Higher Education Area that gives access to doctoral studies. The verification of an equivalent level of studies to the ones mentioned above will be made by the university when the admission procedure starts.
3) Candidates must not have resided or have carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call deadline (6th Feb 2019). Short stays, such as holidays, done in a country other than their country of usual residence (where they carried out their main activity), will be considered as time spent in their country of usual residence.
4) Candidates must have a demonstrable level of English (B2 or higher).
5) Only candidates whose applications meet all the requirements of the call may be accepted.
You can find this offer via the Offer Finder, available at: https://hosts.lacaixafellowships.org/finder
Select “IMIBIC – Maimonides Biomedical Research Institute to Cordoba” from the dropdown list under “RESEARCH CENTER”
You can also search the position by its title "NEW MOLECULAR MECHANISMS IN THE PATHOLOGICAL INTERACTION BETWEEN OBESITY AND CANCER: ALTERNATIVE SPLICING, MIRNAS AND EXTRACELLULAR VESICLE AS POTENTIAL BIOMARKERS AND THERAPEUTIC TARGETS" under "SEARCH BY PROJECT TITLE / JOB POSITION TITLE".
How to Apply:
If you want to apply for an INPhINIT fellowship, click on the link below to create your personal account and fill in the on-line application form: https://www.lacaixafellowships.org/index.aspx
6 February 2019: Application deadline.
20 February 2019: Deadline for submitting the language certificate.
23 April 2019: Notification of the shortlist results.
28 and 29 May 2019: Face-to-face interviews in Barcelona.
4 June 2019: Publication of the final list of selected candidates.
4 June 2019 to 5 July 2019: Matching between the research centres – fellows.
Call for applications:
The responsibility for the hosting offers published on this website, including the hosting description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.