Italian Scientists and Scholars in North America Foundation (ISSNAF), annually grants the Young Investigator Awards in various disciplines to outstanding, early-career Italian researchers working in the United States or Canada, in recognition of their significant and innovative contributions to their field of research.
ISSNAF is very pleased to announce the Young Investigator Awards of 2021 and is grateful to their generous sponsors for their generosity:
- EMBASSY OF ITALY AWARD FOR RESEARCH IN SUSTAINABILITY
Established in 2020, this year’s edition recognizes young Italian investigators in the USA in the fields of materials, energy, human health, and production processes - both agricultural and industrial - whose work has shown potential for improving global sustainability.
- FRANCO STRAZZABOSCO AWARD FOR RESEARCH IN ENGINEERING
Established in 2013 by the Strazzabosco family in memory of Dott. Ing. Franco Strazzabosco, this award is a tribute to the entrepreneurial courage of Italian engineers who strive to apply scientific discoveries to the public advantage. Note that this year’s edition excludes the fields of engineering specifically covered by the Embassy of Italy Award.
- MARIO GERLA AWARD FOR RESEARCH IN COMPUTER SCIENCE
Established by the Gerla family in 2019 in memory of Dr. Mario Gerla, professor of Computer Science at UCLA and ISSNAF founding member.
- PAOLA CAMPESE AWARD FOR RESEARCH IN HEMATOLOGIC MALIGNANCIES
Established by Stefania and Vito Campese in 2011 in memory of their young, talented, and generous daughter Paola.
- RnB4CULTURE AWARD FOR INNOVATION IN THE STUDY OF ITALIAN CULTURE
Established this year by RnB4Culture, this award recognizes the vibrancy of research in Italian culture and its evolving nature expressed in a variety of ways such as innovative uses of technology, or originality of approach, or contribution to wider questions and trends in the Humanities at large.
Winners will receive the Award Winner Certificate and a prize of $3,000.
Finalists will receive the Award Finalist Certificate.
Winners and Finalists will receive public recognition of their accomplishments.
Applications will be evaluated considering the applicant’s curriculum, the quality and impact of their research, and their personal contributions to the research. Three Finalists will be selected for each of the Awards. Finalists will present their research at the virtual Young ISSNAF Symposia in November 2021. A jury will select the Winners. These Symposia are open to the public.
Winners will be announced and receive their award at the ISSNAF Annual Event on December 1, 2021.
ISSNAF reserves the right to exclude applicants not meeting standards of good scholarship and integrity.
1) Italian citizenship;
2) Current affiliation with a research institution in the United States or Canada with the exception that applicants for the Embassy of Italy Award must work in the USA;
3) PhD received or Medical/Veterinary Residency completed between January 1, 2014 and December 31, 2019.
- June 30th, 2021 Application submission deadline
- August 6th, 2021 Applicants are notified whether their application has been accepted
- October 15th, 2021 Applicants are notified whether they have been selected to be Finalists
- November 2021 Finalists present their research at the virtual Young ISSNAF Symposia
- December 1st, 2021 Winners are announced at the ISSNAF Annual Event
To apply, please submit the Young Investigator Awards 2021 Application Form.